- Knitting Courses-
Introduction to Knitwear Design
Today, knitwear is an increasingly popular area of design with many new tools to be explored. Machine knitting is an exciting craft with a deep history.
Whether you have knitting experience or none whatsoever, this course is welcome to all levels. Join Carolyn in person at her studio to learn the fundamentals of machine knitting, basic techniques, library of basic stitch variations, and create your own special project to celebrate your new skill all with the benefit of small interactive class sizes.
This course is perfect for anyone interested in fashion and textiles who would like to learn a new craft. During each lesson, you will learn about yarns, stitch, techniques, design, and more. By the end of the twelve weeks, you will be able to apply the skills you learn to create your own knitted clothing.
- Learn the fundamentals of machine knitting from Carolyn Ferreira in her private studio through small, private lessons
- Various techniques to create samples using single and double bed machine
- Stitch variation demos including fisherman rib, tuck, lace, and more
- Create your own take away swatch library
- Create your own take away special project
- Lifetime access to virtual course content including lesson guides, video demos and community virtual gatherings
- Lifetime access to digital lessons and content
- Special small group learning one-to-one
- Machines provided during lessons
- Continued community through virtual gatherings
- Q&A and demos with Carolyn
Meet Your Teacher:
With the practice of machine knitting becoming increasingly rare in Canada, Carolyn is now offering her passion in-studio and online lessons to rebuild this skill back in the fashion industry.
Carolyn has studied and worked in the fashion industry for over 12 years. She attained her BFA at the highly accredited Fashion Institute of Technology FIT in New York City as well as harnessed the craft of Knitwear in Milan Italy where she showcased her first knitwear collection. She has worked for many high labeled fashion brands around the world and moved to Victoria, BC where she spent several years teaching fashion design courses at local design institutions while creating her own brand Carolyn Ferreira Knitwear.
Her unique experiences have provided her a behind the scenes opportunity to understand the challenges of the fashion industry. She has years of training and experience in machine knitting and can't wait to share this craft with the community of Victoria, BC.
Machines and tools will be supplied during lesson hours. Students will be expected to bring their own supply of yarn for sampling as well as for their final project. Yarn not supplied. Visit Beehive Wool Shop, Knotty by Nature, The Yarn Guy.
Details and Dates:
12 Classes: $805 (CAD) + GST
Spring Session: May 7th - July 24th
2.5 hour classes / 12 weeks = 30 hours
There are two session options, please choose the one that best fits your schedule. Group One will be meeting Sundays 3-5:30pm. Group Two will be meeting on Mondays 5-7:30pm.
Group One Dates:
Sundays 3:00pm - 5:30pm
May: 7, 14, 21, 28
June: 4, 11, 18, 25
July: 9, 16, 23, 30
Group Two Dates:
Mondays 5:00pm - 7:30pm
May: 8,15, 29
July: 10,17, 24, 31